DCML digest, Vol 1 #393 - 15 msgs

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Jan 31 07:01:06 CET 2001

From: Kriton Kyrimis <kyrimis at cti.gr>
>>>Doesn't Barks' "The Victory Garden" suggest that Donald stayed at home
during WWII? I'm not quite sure what a victory garden is, but it sounds
like
something related to war time.

Yes, quite, a Victory Garden is what we Americans grew in the backyard
during WWII to do our part in the Home Front economy.
But you forget my personal theory of time in these comics. I avoid the idea
that these characters are ageless magic beings living in a fairy tale world
where everyone lives forever. It seems so much simpler and less childish to
me to just consider their stories as taking place in a condensed,
generalized time frame. For me, Barks' last stories actually are flashbacks
to about 10 years earlier. Similarly, his first stories, even though they
are published in 1943, are actually taking place a few years later... oh,
say 1947 (though I am never intentionally so specific).
But however you regard it, Barks' avoidance of having DD fighting in WWII
is natural, eh? It's just what I'm saying I would do even if I was doing
stories during that or any war. How else could it be done? (And perhaps all
of those early tales are taking place during Donald's furloughs?)