Three Caballeros in The Netherlands

DGE@ECN.egmont.com DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Sun Jul 8 16:12:51 CEST 2001

	Hey Daniel!

>If these newspaper strips were the Joe Carioca "solo" adventure series
>published in the Dutch weekly in about 1982
	They are.

>Before 1982, possibly somewhere between 1977 and 1981, the Dutch weekly
>reprinted a short Donald Duck story in which Joe Carioca and Panchito
>visited him. [...] Donald ends up in jail [snip]
	This story is W WDC 50-06, drawn by Carl Buettner.
	It's a depressing story, IMHO, as Jose and Panchito are shown as
noisy Hispanic country bumpkins who don't even seem to understand the modern
(i. e. 1944 American) world. Heavily influenced by stereotype; not really
the way I like to see Jose or Panchito...

>The Dutch Panchito stories might be based on a series of one page gags
>published on the back of Dutch weeklies in about 1980. I believe these
>one pagers had a foreign origin. Maybe they came from America?
	They did. These are the Panchito Silly Symphony Sunday strips from
mid-1940s. Pretty good strips they are, too, IMHO.

	David