An apology

john garvin jgarvin at bendcable.com
Wed Jun 13 08:45:07 CEST 2001

Looking back over my initial response to Mr. Rosa's reporting on the
Barrier article, I see that indeed my use of the terms "ignorant" and
"arrogant" could be rightfully considered "fighting words."  I know better
than to use such inflammatory rhetoric, since all that usually results, is
in fact what did result.  I honestly did not think it possible that
someone could not value Barks's painting work as I do, and that for
someone to say that this work should be forgotten created a knee jerk
reaction in me as well: that such attitudes could only come from ignorance
of Barks work, or an arrogant disregard for it.  So I apologize for using
such confrontative and argumentative language.

How much more productive it would have been, I think, for me to have
uploaded scans of my favorite Barks paintings, and to have provided links
to them and a thoughtful discussion of why those paintings will be
remembered as the beginning of another manner of painting.  Indeed, I can
see that perhaps an entire book is in order on the subject.  And I do not
believe that the appreciation of art is at all subjective.  I may not
personally want to hang a Picasso in my home, but I understand the
important place Picasso occupies in the history and development of modern
art.  But perhaps this is a discussion better left to a different mailing
list.

I've sent Mr. Rosa a personal apology as well.