"the good artist" epitaph

Nils Lid Hjort nils at math.uio.no
Thu Jun 14 11:30:52 CEST 2001

I had the privilege and pleasure of meeting
Gerry Tank yesterday evening, in Oslo. Gerry
ahs been one of the persons closest to Carl Barks
(geographically, practically and emotionally)
during the ten last years of Carl's life.
We chatted for two past-midnight hours
(his plane was late, as was the schedule for
my duties in service of the Norwegian and Spanish
prime ministers), about the many aspects of Carl's
life, work and influence, and in particular about
his last decade amongst us.

What I wished to relate to the list is one
simple and touching detail, namely about the
gravestone where Carl Barks is buried. The
epitaph under his name reads, in grand and wise
simplicity, "The good artist".

Nils Lid Hjort