HD&L's father / Kentucky vs Duckburg

Olaf Solstrand harryklein at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 15 09:17:25 CEST 2001

On an old Don Rosa interview published at www.donald.no, Don Rosa said that
he had plans on writing a story presenting the father of Huey, Dewey and
Louie, and that this would be printed... I think it was 2002 or 2003 it
said. I'm just excited; Don, will you write this story, or have you given it
up/forgot it? I haven't heard any more about it, and it seems for me that
you must spend A LOT of time on the DCML, and because I know how much time
you use on each of your stories, I was just wondering.

I'm really excited to read this story, therefor I hope it will come...

--------------------

As to what I said about Della, that I don't believe that she would have
babies before the age of 20: Duckburg has always been a very special place.
Most stories are still originally written for children (of all ages),
therefor there is no such things as sex, blood or violence. In my entire
life, I think I've read only TWO Disney stories where restrooms are
mentioned (a Pat & Carol McGreal story where Donald is babysitting five
little kids, where one of them always have to go and the Money Bin
Blueprints). In a long time, there has been no such thing as PARENTS in
Duckburg. Don Rosa's Duck Family Tree and Life of Scrooge was for me
introducing the term "parents" in Duckburg, and I guess that was the same
with most Europeans? Before that all we had was uncles, aunts, cousins and
nephews. But still, there is a very strong moral hanging over Duckburg.
This moral is making me quite sure about two things:
1. When Della gave birth to HD&L, she was married.
2. When Della gave birth to HD&L, she was at least old enough to have sex,
plus the time of a duck or human pregnancy.
I have always thought of the term "wedding" as something you do in an adult
age - you don't get married until you're about 18. As for the age you must
have to have sex in Duckburg I'm not sure. In Norway it's 16, I guess it's
about the same in the states.

Anyway, I really believe that HD&L was born in-marriage. And maybe it's my
twisted mind, but I really can't imagine a 16-17yo bride...

But even though this is normal in Kentucky, I guess it's not so normal in
the Pacific states - California and Oregon, which in duck life includes
Calisota. (Yes, in my mind the southern part of Oregon is part of Calisota,
I like the theory of Carl Barks being a calisotian...)

--ol at f--