Duckburg Schools

Olaf Solstrand harryklein at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 19 10:25:28 CEST 2001

>From: "Anders Christian Sivebaek" <acsive at mail.mira.dk>

>There's not often shown scenes or stories from Duckburg school in the
>weekly.

Isn't there? I agree that there is more stories about hilarious adventures
than stories about Huey, Dewey and Louie in school. But my opinion is that
quite a lot of stories come from the school, especially around school start.
I remember lots of them; the mobber you mentioned, the story where Donald
tries to get HD&L's friend from (i believe it is)Kari Korhonen's stories to
start school... and notice that every August you can reed at least one story
about going back to school in Donald Duck & Co / Anders And and other
comics.

>I see something self-condradicting in the fact that the kids are often
>shown as not wanting to go to school, and then, at the same time, they're
>Junior Woodchucks, learning all kinds of things through that.

I think this is handling with two different stages of HD&L. The stories
where they don't want to go to school probably takes place a while before
they entered the Junior Woodchucks. In the Don Rosa story
"W.H.A.T.A.L.O.T.T.A.J.A.R.G.O.N." or whatever that name was, we get a
glimze of HD&L the day before they enter the Junior Woodchucks. I think you
will agree that these little boys are the same boys that Carl Barks and
hundreds of other creators would let run away from school. Right? After they
entered the JW, they probably realized that it wasn't too bad to learn
something after all.

I have always thought of it as something absurd that Donald Duck & Co, the
most popular cartoon in Norway, actually shows the school to be something
terrible and boring. This has never been concidered to be a problem, but I
believe that many children have HD&L as their idols. I often get the feeling
that when HD&L play hooky, they say to their readers that it's OK. I've
often in the weekly read articles like "20 good excuses to start school
three weeks later". I hope that this will take an end, and that school can
be something positive. But, that is MY opinion.

>and the story is about several accidents that the multi artist Limonardo da
>Vimsi causes (The name would read Lemonado da Clumsy or such in American,
>if the story is published in a Gladstone comic or such)

Argh. Don't you just hate it when they make up these names? Why couldn't
they write a story where they meet Leonardo da Vinci instead? Almost as
pathetic as that German Don Rosa-translation including Schumacher. (I think
it was the Cutty Sark cowboy)

-olaf-   ( http://home.no.net/treaa/ )