Translation Trouble

Olaf Solstrand harryklein at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 20 09:56:23 CEST 2001

Hi!
Can you help me find the English words for some characters?

In the weekly, we sometimes can read a Kari Korhonen-comic which in Norway
has the title "Donald Rakker-Duck". These are stories about Donald's
childhood at Grandma's farm.

What's the name of these stories in English (American)? "Rakker" is a
Norwegian word, so I guess that is replaced with something else...

In this comic, he also has some friends. And they're not Gyro or Mickey or
Goofy or Gladstone, but brand new figures only used by Kari. What are their
names?
I'm thinking of:
- Donald's best friend, "Ronny" in Norwegian, which Donald loves to play
sheriff with. His father is a shop-owner.
- Donald's and "Ronny"'s female friend, "Pia" in Norwegian, a bright girl
which I think Donald has a little crush on... Her mother owns a cafeteria on
a boat.
- The big bully often mobbing Donald (as someone just said "mob" is not the
right word, but...), "Kjartan" or "Kjakan" (I'm not 100% sure of the
Norwegian name either here...)
- And, if you know it, the name of Grandma's neighbor. Thanks!

(Although I love Barks, I'm not 100% barksist. Kari Korhonen is one of my
favourites, behind Don Rosa... As a script writer, of course, I don't think
he is a too good drawer. I would say he draws ducks in the same way that
Noel Van Horn draws mice...)

-----

And now, a question for you barksists; In the hypnotizer gun story, where
Donald is hypnotized by that toy gun, he goes to get some money from a big
bully. What's HIS name in English / American? In Norway it was Sterke-Jens
or Sterke-Lars, I'm not 100% sure. ("sterk" means strong, Jens/Lars is a
typical Norwegian first name)

-----

BTW:
In the Donald strips in the Norwegian weekly magazine "Hjemmet", I often
reacted that they called Donald's girlfriend Dolly "Daisy". Now I've
realized that Daisy IS the original name. When you've always heard "Dolly"
used, "Daisy" seems strange! I don't know why Hjemmet used another
translation than the "official" Norwegian word "Dolly", but it was really
weird to understand that they actually was right.

Where did the word "Dolly" come from? Maybe it has the same origin as from
the Aqua song "Barbie Girl":

"I'm a blonde little girl, in my fantasy world
Dress me up, make it tight, I'm your dolly"

-olaf- ( http://home.no.net/treaa/ )