Weekly

Halvor Sandven Halvor_Sandven at no.mailandnews.com
Mon Jun 25 10:40:26 CEST 2001

>Here are my opinions on what I want from a weekly Donald Duck magazine:
>- The cover should, instead of being a funny gag, be more like a WDC-cover.

I think the covers are pretty good, and much better than what they were some
years ago. The colors are better, and the art is more detailed. I specially
enjoy the dutch covers. I think that they are not very different from the
WDC-covers.

>I LOVED the cover for no. 21 this year - Don Rosa's cover for "The Beagle
>Boys vs. The Money Bin".

Yes, I agree that this was a very good cover, and I liked the fact that it
featured other characters than the ducks. This is very unusual today.

>- The Mickey Mouse comics should be removed and placed in the Mickey Mouse
>Magazine (a monthly in Norway, I don't know about other countries). Mickey
>has NOTHING to do in the DD-weekly - all they have in common is Walt Disney.

No, I don't agree at all. I like a bit of variety in the weekly, and Mickey
Mouse is a character that always should be included. I find the quality of the
Mickey-stories to be very high nowadays, and often these stories are those I
enjoy most. I would also like to see more stories of thw wolves, Brer Rabbit
and so on. The latest years this characters are very little seen, even if the
weeklies have more pages than ever. I think this is a bit sad. I think that a
weekly comic featuring only the ducks would be a bit monotonous.

>- It should be at least one Carl Barks-story in each weekly.

Yes, I think it's important to reprint Barks. I have, of cource read all his
stories before, but thinking about all those not so fortunate, they deserve to
enjoy these stories too, without having to buy expensive books that collects
these stories. In the mid and late 90'ies, they published over 200 pages og
Barks-stories each year in the weekly, but in 2000 they published only 114
(Anders And - Danish weekly).

>- The silly articles should be removed - except from the ones explaining
>things in the comics.

The articles are all right. Remember, the comic is also read by children, and
I think that they enjoy these things more than those on this mailing-list who
may have read Disney-comics for years.

>- I like the contest, but I think it should be Duckburg-related.

I don't care much for the contests myself, but my children like them, wether
they are Duck-related or not.

All in all, I would say that the quality of the Scandinavian weekly is pretty
high. Some of the stories could have been dropped, and maybe replaced by
reprints by Paul Murry, Gil Turner and maybe Tony Strobl. I would also like to
see more old stories by italian artists like Romano Scarpa, Luciano Gatto and
Luciano Bottaro.