Iliad, Beagles and ducks' popularity

Petri Kanninen pkannine at cc.hut.fi
Sat Jun 30 16:36:22 CEST 2001

ARMANDO:
>MARK:
>> One of the earliest Duck stories that I enjoyed was from a Greek issue
>> of MIKY MAOYS from about 1966. It was probably translated from an
>> Italian story. It was a loose adaptation of the "Iliad," [...]
> Sure! It's an Italian story, indeed: "Paperiade", written by Guido
> Martina and drawn by Luciano Bottaro, first appeared in "Topolino"
> #202-204 (1959).

Great you reminded me about this story. I've ment to ask a question about
it. At page 53 when Daisy comes to visit the island, she seems to be
redrawn by Perego. That is at least in the Finnish version. I've made a
scan of the page at:
http://www.hut.fi/~pkannine/iines.jpg (207 kb)
Is it same in every country?

KRITON: (about the same story)
> Why checker-board instead of a chess-board, given that this is clearly
> based on the legend about the reward that the inventor of chess is
> supposed to have asked for his invention?

In Finland the story is named "Riceboard" and the board is simply called a
gameboard and at one occasion Chinese riceboard. Of course I have always
known it's a chessboard thanks to Strobl's Donald in Mathmagic Land (W OS
1051-01) where the same idea is used.
BTW. I really love how Bottaro draws the Beagle boys.

And now we move smoothly to Don's (congratulations for your birthday!) new
Beagle story that was published in Finland this week:
Oh boy, did I have fun laughing through this story. I especially enjoyd
the ways the bin caught the beagles with and the way tired Scrooge missed
them. And the drawing of Scrooge in Blackheart's cell is great. But the
blueprints are the thing that took my breath away. Oh me, oh my! They are
great! All those details. It must have been great fun to do them. Big
thanks for both Dan and Don!
This story also confirms that Scrooge still has his teeth. Pretty good for
his age.
This week's issue started reprinting Don's Kalevala story too, so I think
it's the first all-Rosa number ever.

About the popularity of Disney-comics in Europe:
Last evening I've was reading while my parents watched the TV. There was a
date program (Napakymppi) going on. One person asks questions, three of
different sex answer and at the end the first chooses one of the three
before s/he can see them. Anyway, one question was "How do you use money:
like Scrooge, like Donald or like Gladstone?" People there were about 40
years old and all knew enough of the characters to answer.

And I end this message with great news (for me): my grandma promised that
I could take all the weeklies from her attic. That means about 90% of Aku
Ankkas between the years 1972-1997. Hurrah!

--
Petri Kanninen (pkannine at cc.hut.fi)
Aku Ankan taskukirja -tietokanta: http:/www.perunamaa.net/taskarit/

"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating,
and in fourteen days I lost two weeks." -Joe E. Lewis