Goofy's sense of smell

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Wed Mar 14 13:46:01 CET 2001

Nils Lid Hjort wrote:

>I recall a Murry (?) story which must have been issued in
>Norway around the mid-sixties, where a point is being made
>of Goofy's sense of smell. It is so extraordinary that it
>surely can match Smilla's sense of snow. In which story
>or stories does Goofy display this ability?

I don't have the answer to this question. Sorry. I *do*, however, wonder why you would need to know that. Yep, I'm sure Goofy *did* have an extraordinary sense of smell in some Mickey story back in the 60s. However, that was presumably just a plot device from the writer, trying to make a story work. Goofy has had *lots* of characteristics over the years, but always confined to the one story in which they were relevant to the plot.

It's the same thing with Super Goof. In some stories, Mickey Mouse didn't know his secret identity. In some stories, he did. It's all a matter of what worked best in that particular story. The only characters I've seen who keep knowing Goofy is Super Goof from story to story are Gilbert and Super Fink.

And I see you call Mickey Mouse "the most clever detective of Duckburg". He's not. While he *should* be pretty good at investigating stuff due to his natural curiosity, the characterization of him as a detective only brings back memories of the boring, bland and smug Mickey of the 60s and 70s. The "detective persona" is what for decades made millions of children dislike Mickey. At least, that's how it seems to me.

Lars Jensen