Armando, Battle of the sexes

Søren Krarup Olesen raptus at stofanet.dk
Tue Nov 13 03:25:24 CET 2001

ARMANDO:

On Thursday  8. November 2001 23:15, Armando Botto wrote:
> In that story, Scrooge summons Donald to the Bin, because he needs
> him for "an important matter". Daisy goes with Donald, and Scrooge
> starts insulting her (and women in general): "We must discuss
> *serious* things! Between *men*! Women chatter too much! They've got
> a chicken's brain! They're inferior beings!"
>
> [Don't be surprised... the story came out in 1973, during the worst
> period for Italian scripts. And Guido Martina - who had never been an
> example of Politically Correct ;-) - had been declining for a long
> time already...]

You know, Armando, I don't agree with you on this. You shouldn't take
Scrooge's words too literally and they are definetely not based on
Martina's own opinions on these matters IMO. They are just words that
fit into the story. In fact that particular story is/was very political
correct (or at least very topical) in the early 70s, since we during
the story face many sexist situations which are elegantly put into
rediculousness by the author, and the story itself ends up with
Paperinika being just as intelligent and "heroish" as Paperinik
himself--they *do* cooperate in the end, remember?!

This is a great script I think. A bit outdated and exaggerated perhaps,
but I hope you'll agree, that it is somewhat unique (which is enough
for me to appreciate it anyway :-)

Søren

(and thanks for the latest posting, Armando :-)