Fethry and,Duckburg and reason in fantasy

Armando Botto armando.botto at libero.it
Fri Nov 23 23:13:35 CET 2001

Hello again, Dim!

> The original Martina script of "The Blot's Double Mustery" said that the
Blot's plan was to have Mickey murder O'Hara?Then why wasn't O'Hara in his
bed while Mickey stamped it with the knife?The greek translation says that
an unknown informer tipped off O'Hara who hided nearby to watch who was
going to make the attempt.The informer is presumed to be the Blot.What is
the italian version?

In the Italian version, O'Hara says that he became suspicious as soon as he
arrived at the castle with Mickey and Goofy, because Mickey headed towards
the hall without a moment of hesitation, thus showing that he had been there
before. At the end of the story, the Blot declares: "Mickey and O'Hara had
sent me to jail! So I thought to have Mickey kill O'Hara... he would have
gotten the chair, and my revenge would have been complete!"
So, it turns out that the Greek version was indeed censored! The Blot's
original plan was too devilish for the editors, I reckon... (it's curious to
notice that the same "mildening" treatment was used by American editors,
when they had Bill Wright and Paul Murry produce two remakes of
Gottfredson's original Blot story!)

> Armando said that some early Fethry stories were little mastrerpieces.I
persume he means stories like the enjoyable "The Health Nut"(S 64008) by
Dick Kinney and Al Hubbard.

Sure! And I really hope that Luca manages to have a few of them properly
reprinted in "Zio Paperone"...

Ciao,
Armando