Magica's platter

CarmenG@aol.com CarmenG at aol.com
Sun Oct 14 17:03:19 CEST 2001

<<
Unfortunatly, the only Magica story of yours that I've managed to find is the
one involving the silver platter >>

Some might consider your position fortunate!  Let me take this opportunity to
say that the above story is one of the funniest comics I've ever read. And
despite Mr. Rosa's protestations that his artwork is not what he wishes it to
be, I think Magica is beautifully drawn and--dare I say this about a comic
duck?--sexy. If Sophia Loren were a duck, this is what she'd be. This is all
my opnion, of course, but I just feel the joy of the artist in every strand
of her hair as it flies about.
    (Okay--just wait. Don will write that he found drawing the hair tedious
and that he sees the character as frumpy. My opinion is often incorrect, but
it's mine. Every reader will see things his or her way.)
    Frankly, in the past, I've often found the character of Magica to be ...
well, tiresome. To me, the whole dime plot gets old. Since she's failed
getting it, why doesn't she go back to her original plan to use all of the
other dimes she's collected into her amulet? Rosa writes:
<<Later Barks Magica stories began to drift into other areas... she often is
not even interested in the Dime any longer, but $crooge is crossing paths
with her in pursuit of some other magical item that she wants to use to
make herself rich, such as Aladdin's flying carpet, or some golden feathers
she needs in a potion. And I think that would be a nice way to use her in a
future $crooge story... >>
    I'd WELCOME a story like that! (Not that here in the U.S. we actually get
to read these). Don't get me wrong. I think Magica is an interesting
character--she's just difficult to use effectively.

    And, off-topic, but someone mentioned Tolkien in a recent mailing. I
teach his books to my high-school students & I've been wondering if much
cross-over exists between the fans of ducks & hobbits. I'm thinking perhaps
duck fans may enjoy Tolkien... but most Tolkien people I know have never
heard of the ducks.