States , Hobbesianism ,

joe gouldIII joegouldiii at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 20:57:05 CEST 2001

...Re US states: , I guess that the concept here is
deciding that - during the " classic " Ducks period of
Unca Carl's stories ( As decided in retrospect ,
remember ) and , thus , Don's stories , the US had
only 48 states , up through 1967 ? Is that your
problem , Bunky ? Well , then , SIT  DOWN , put your
CHIN UP , and...Oh , sorry .
  Perhaps the Civil War-era division that resulted in
Virginia and West Virginia coming out of the original
Virginia either never happened , or , was reversed ,
at a later date ? As I've pointed oout here before (
especially in the 1940s ) some people in rural parts
of Northern California and Oregon talked about the
possibility of seperating into a new state , to be
called " Jefferson " , though it never went far at all
.
  Actually , regarding North/Soth Dakota , just
recently , one of the two Dakotas ( I THINK North )
got some , mildly silly , attention in the U. S. press
when a proposal to drop the " North " , perhaps for
just " Dakota " , or , another , different name , came
up in the state legislature .
 Re: Calvin/Hobbes , I believe that what was intended
was the " I ENVY ( emphasis mine ) the person who gets
to read those for the first time " concept . Is that
little troupe/verbal cliche not used that much there ?