matressface

Shaun Craill scraill at methven.net
Mon Apr 8 04:09:17 CEST 2002

	Don Rosa wrote:
	>I never did understand why someone with beard would have a name
	>like "matressface". What sort of mattress looks like hair?

	When I first read this story as a kid I always imagined it was a
reference to the old fashioned use of coconut fibre as stuffing in
mattresses and soft furnishings.  Coconut fibre was also used for the fibres
in brooms and brushes, and Monsieur Mattressface does seem to have a visage
not unlike an old fashioned broom.

	From peoples comments I guess coconut fibre was not a common
material worldwide?

	Shaun

	Ps: I've been checking on barcodes around our house, maybe we use a
different system here, but all products originating from New Zealand start
with 94 and all products from Australia seem to start with 93.  I guess from
the feedback to the previous post on this subject this sort of numbering
convention isn't applicable to the US or Europe?