DCML digest #892

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Apr 12 14:30:24 CEST 2002

> From: "M.J. Prior" <M.J.Prior at let.rug.nl>
> Question to Don Rosa:
> Will this sequel involve (or have to involve) Matilda's supposed husband
> Ludwig von Drake?

Probably not. But not because I want to avoid using Ludwig, a character I
like... but because if I do a story with $crooge's two sisters in "modern"
(1950's) times, being the first time they've been used in that way, and one
of them being Donald's *mother* which would be a significant "incident" in
itself, to also have Ludwig running around on the perimeter of the story
would just dilute the whole mess.
I would probably have Matilda visiting Hortense, Ludwig staying back at home
(working at the University, or whatever it is he does). But I have not yet
given any of this any thought. It's all I can do to finish one story at a
time as fast as I can so I can get *paid*! It ain't easy getting only about
2 or 3 paychecks in a whole year! The space between them starts to seem like
the Grand Canyon. I think the toughest thing to figure out is not why
$crooge has not seen his sisters in so long... I've already set that
situation up... but why Donald has not seen his mother... or perhaps he
*has* seen her, then why don't we know about it? And where is his father?
Will his father be in the story? Will they ever let me *do* the story?! I'll
worry about all this later.

> From: Goofy313g at aol.com
> About Ludwig, I think I remember reading somewhere that Don Rosa wasn't
allowed to use Ludwig.

That's what I was told a few years ago, but I see him in the Egmont comics
now, so I imagine that "rule" has been eased.