Benny burro & Barney Bear by Barks

Halsten Aastebol Halsten.Aastebol at elkraft.ntnu.no
Tue Dec 10 13:03:05 CET 2002

At 01:30 10.12.02 -0800, lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net wrote:

>  So  Barks
>had time to moon-light during those years and do these
>Benny Burro & Barney Bear stories?
>
>                   ---------Larry Giver

Well at least he did do quite a lot of work with other comics too.
Here is a complete overview of Barks' non-Disney work during the period
1943-47:

For Our Gang Comics 11 - 36, May 1943 - July 1947:
3 stories starring Benny the Lonesome Burro
26 stories starring Barney Bear & Benny Burro
2 stories starring Happy Hound (later known as Droopy)

For Dell Four Color 48:
1 story starring Porky Pig along with Bugs Bunny: "Porky of the Mounties"
(July 1944)

For New Funnies 76:
1 story starring Andy Panda: "The Widow's Donuts" (June 1943)

All of the above was reprinted in black & white in the Barks Bear Book, but
that one is gonna be hard to find. I don't own it myself, but I know
someone who does, so I've had the pleasure of browsing through it
(carefully that is!).

Later (about 1952 - 54) he also wrote the script for three Droopy stories
published in Tom & Jerry comics.

Regards
Halsten