sequels and storytelling

Oyvind J. Karstad oyvind at karstad.no
Thu Feb 21 14:12:35 CET 2002

jgarvin wrote:
> Actually, both of those films, while not made in Disney's studios,
> are very much Disney in that they used Disney concept artists,
> story board artists, character designers, etc.

Thank you for correcting me.
I had the impression that Disney only finances and distributes the movies.

> And I disagree that these movies end with the same conditions:
> one of my criteria for determining whether a screenplay is well written,
> is the degree to which the central character (as a result of his own actions
> Toy Story 1 is all about how Woody changes from being selfish, self centered,
> and insecure, to being a selfless friend who truly cares about others.

You're right, of course.
It's mostly the physical conditions that doesn't change from the start to the end.
But this makes it easy to make a sequel with a similiar adventure.
They just have to get up with a new problem that can ruin the peace.

Oyvind J. Karstad