You're peein' (Scrooge's Counterfeit Money) [OT]

Gregory R. Ball gball at baseteninc.com
Sat Jan 5 16:14:05 CET 2002

> The truth is, however, that Scrooge doesn't have guilders or Euros in
> his money bin, but dollars, which are never withdrawn from circulation.
> Speaking of which, I recently read that as much as 30% of the dollar
> bills in circulation may be counterfeit. Does this mean that 30% of
> uncle Scrooge's money could be counterfeit? Ye cats and little kittens!

Well, every time cash goes through the federal reserve stations (all
banks send their money there) it is sorted and the counterfeit bills are
automatically removed and sent to the secret service.  Mangled/mutilated
bills are also removed and shredded.  Older money is automatically
recognized and shredded.  They destroy millions and millions of dollars
at each station each day!  You can even buy some shredded money bricks as
souveniers (although trying to reassemble is fruitless...after 20 hours
of effort, a friend of mine realized that his ONE shredded bill in an
envelope had "VOID" stamped over it.)  When I visited there back in high
school, the box they had with counterfeit bills was tiny--any most of
them were either blatant photocopies or people doing stupid things such
as cutting the corners off a 10 dollar bill and pasting them over the 1's
on a one dollar bill.

I can't believe with Scrooge's nature he wouldn't check his money ^_^
And any money received from a bank wouldn't be counterfeit...

Greg