DCML digest #798

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Tue Jan 15 09:25:19 CET 2002

Eero-Pekka:
>Why does $crooge have to change his money to Euros, I thought he lives in
>the U.S!
Spain, Portugal... Brasilia, Chile, Argentina... Never-Never land... and
where ever the Disney comics artists write and draw him to and/or
the readers of the comics imagine him in.

That's a very nice, politically-correct answer. But it's not true for me.
In MY stories, Scrooge and Duckburg are *definitely* in The United States
of America. Even in the mid 1950's, but that's beside the point at the
moment. (Also, I'm not a "Disney artist", again beside the point at the
moment.) If a publisher or translator, or if any readers change or
interpret my story as having $crooge live anywhere other than the west
coast of the USA, then they are *dead wrong*. As regards my story. They are
free to have their own interpretation, but NOT as regards MY story. Where
the writer or artist intends the story to take place is futile when the
various editors have the "right" (actually not the right, only the ability)
to change the original story in any way they desire. And perhaps most
writers don't care. But MY stories, few that I do, take place in Duckburg,
Calisota, *USA*.
And $crooge does not convert his money to Euros in my stories. Any of my
stories that you see with a Euro symbol on the Money Bin... well, you'll
know it's against my will and makes no earthly sense. Aside from existing
in the 1950's, "my" $crooge would still never convert his Money Bin  money
to Euros no matter where or when he lived. The value of the Money Bin money
is not important. It's the memories that count.
I foresee some problems with my friends in Finland or Norway when they
start putting Euro symbols on *my* Money Bins. I will suggest they switch
to the initials of $crooge McDuck (in their translations) such as they use
in other European countries, or I will be upset. They can put the Euro
symbols on the 99.999% of the stories that are *not* mine.