Color of money

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Wed Jan 16 11:07:56 CET 2002

Martin S. Thoresen:

> Don Rosa, and [Harry] Fluks seemed to suggest that the whole yellow coin
> thing is a European tradition, to accomodate local currency.

No, not to accomodate local currency. I think it's more a graphical matter.
Yellow coins simply "look better" in a comic drawing. Or at least they did
in the 1940s, when this tradition started.

Before the euro came, our local coins were silver (and the smallest were
brown).

> I can also never remember to have seen a picture of the money
> bin with any other colour either

A well-known example of brown/grey money in a Disney comic is in Rosa's Life
of Scrooge, chapter 12.
This looked very strange to me, in the Dutch version.

> The question you say? Oh, yes, what kind of color are the
> coins suppoused to have,

Yellow, IMO. Because it looks nice, and I'm used to it (the European
tradition).

> and why are they sometimes(?) yellow?

Because that's the colour they are supposed to have. 8-)

--Harry.