Elviry Birthday

Luca Boschi cnotw at zen.it
Sat Jan 19 17:44:33 CET 2002

Hi, Don!

You're right!

> the Italians apparently stumbled on that
> ancient & obscure use of Grandma Duck's name in the old WDC&S just as I
> did, and had already been using the name...

Yes. It depends from the reprint of that old Riley Thom(p)son's story, from
WDC&S # 121 (Oct. 1950 - Incidentally, Elviry was born in October, like the
story plans) into a book for collectors which come out in the early 90'es. I
took that old panel and put in into a book ("Walt Disney presenta Paperina e
le altre"), where an full chapter was devoted to Grandma and I esplained all
her story.

Later, that panel was reprinted into other newsstands' books and the name of
Elviry become "common" among the italian story men.
As we just wrote previously, in this list, in another old story (by Carl
Fallberg and Frank Mc Savage: "Grandma Duck in Hollywood"), Grandma's name
was Abigail... But since it was referred to the old Grandma's carreer on
stage... it could even be and art nickname.

> It's in the blood! They know more about American comics books and newspaper
> strips than any American I've ever met, and I've been hangin' around with
> the foremost American funnybook collectors since the late 60's!

Oh, thank you, Don! :-)

Luca