DCML digest, Vol 1 #808 - 18 msgs

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Mon Jan 21 08:25:09 CET 2002

SPREA:

> Greek "is Greek" to me, that's why you'll probably found typos (I guess
> that's what you're referring to, what else could it be?)

The problem is that the contents of that page are not Greek to a Greek,
and they more or less need to be re-done from scratch by a Greek speaker.
As Harry said:

> The "latin" versions (like "Ntonalnt") of the titles make no sense at all,
> and can better be removed. The Greek transliterate by sound, in stead of
> character by character.

(See below.)

> And for some series, the Greek version is just nonsense ("Special" and
> such).

My favorite was the translation of the "x" in "Carl Barks 10x10" to a
ksi! In a "correct" translation, the "x" would not even be converted to
a chi (not a ksi!), as, in most fonts, lower case chi does not resemble
a multiplication sign as much as a lower case roman x does.

STEFAN:

I'm transcribing your table into something that does not require
configuring one's mail reader to use Greek encoding:

> a  = alpha
> b  = beta
> g  = gamma
> d  = delta
> e  = epsilon
> z  = zeta
> h  = eta
> q  = theta
> i  = iota
> k  = kappa
> l  = lambda
> m  = mu
> n  = nu
> x  = ksi
> o  = omicron
> p  = pi
> r  = rho
> s  = sigma (both varieties)
> t  = tau
> y  = upsilon
> f  = phi
> c  = chi
> ps = psi
> w  = omega

As Harry suggested, this approach does not take into account that
transcription is done, at least in part, phonetically. There
is even a standard for doing this (ELOT 743 / ISO 843-2),
with a much lengthier table and several footnotes (see, e.g.,
http://www.italnet.nd.edu/AMBROS/text/Greek_transliteration.html), though
most Greeks improvise according to one of several arbitrary schemes when
forced to write Greek using the Roman alphabet, so don't expect any kind
of consistency.

> Accents currently unsupported.

and SPREA:

> But we don't care about accents,

Ah, but Greeks do, and this was one of my problems with the text in the
web page!

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"One always has choices.  Whether one chooses to see them or not is,
 in itself, its own choice."
-----