South African Disney comics

Petri Kanninen pkannine at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jan 31 16:37:36 CET 2002

HARRY:
>Last week I saw a South-African comic. It was from the mid-1990s, and it
>looked like a direct reprint of "Disney Adventures", a USA comic that is
>still in print today (?).
>Maybe South Africa has other kinds of Disney comics too?

I recently bought some 50 issues of "South African" Disney comics from the
late 70s and early 80s. Why the "s? They're actually imported from
England. The name of the magazine is Mickey Mouse and it is 16 pages. The
format is quite hideous for stories. The magazine is bigger than usual
comic books and has layout of 5 rows per page. It has many continuation
stories, especially serialisations of Disney's films with living actors
(one is called The Spaceman and King Arthur:-). It has a letter column,
and sometimes pages for jokes, problems and other fun stuff. Nearly every
letter is from England (I've seen one from Finland!) and it's cover price
both in British and South African currency, only the South African price
is printed a lot smaller than the British one.

It's funny that they distributed it to South Africa. I thought that
apartheid and boycotts were in fashion at that time. Or did the boycotts
come later?

--
Petri Kanninen (pkannine at cc.hut.fi)
Aku Ankan taskukirja -tietokanta: http:/www.perunamaa.net/taskarit/

"Elokuvataiteen kannalta Van Damme on ollut merkittävimmillään
Replicant-elokuvan loppuhuipennuksessa, jossa hän potki ja
pieksi perusteellisesti itseään." -Mikko Vienonen, IS 13.10.2001