More off-topic stuff

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Thu Jan 31 20:43:14 CET 2002

Don Rosa:

>>I'm sure the pope didn't change the past when he decided to skip 10
>> days.
>
> The pope can do anything. He's infallible. Hadn't you heard?

Ah, but that was decided in the 19th or early 20th century. Does that mean
all previous popes were infallible too?
(Here we're back again to the same kind of question... - no, no need to
answer that. 8-)

> But... what's all this hafta to do with Mickey the Mouse?

Er.. maybe the connection is that Disney is infallible too?

> Growing your own vegetables is a hobby, not a way to save $.

Well, in my youth (30 years ago...) my parents, and lots of other people in
our village, grew their own food in the garden. And one important reason was
that it was much cheaper than buying food in the super market.
But that was 30 years ago (WWII and the Dutch "hunger winter" were still
fresh in memory), and times have changed.
(Then again, you were probably talking about 50 years ago..)

Maybe growing food is cheaper on former-sea-bottom clay (like in Holland),
than it is on former-desert-land sand (like in Calisota).

> They had elevators in 1902, so why *not* an elevator? He
> certainly would not waste so much time going up and down

This is a typical case where both things can be argumented: "Scrooge does
not have X because it's too expensive" versus "Scrooge *does* have X because
it saves him a lot of time and/or money". In these cases, X can be an
elevator, a car, an airplane, things like that. And we actually see such
opposite situations in lots of stories.
(Maybe I'm mainly talking about non-Barks stories here, I don't know.)

--Harry.