Roma & Haarlem

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Mon Jun 3 19:36:08 CEST 2002

Last week I visited Rome (Italy), and in the weekend there was the Dutch
comic convention in Haarlem.
Here is a short report of some (maybe) interesting things.

In Italy, I bought the newest Topolino, because of the funny cover (Donald
and Fethry watching a football match sitting between Japanese or Koreans).
Not very politically correct maybe, but very funny.
The opening story is about the world championship too. It's drawn by
Cavazzano. Looks quite good, but I can't read Italian...

I also bought the newest Zio Paperone, and the book "Barks Friends" (yes,
that's its Italian title). The latter contains all "Barks tribute" stories,
made by Egmont for Barks' 100th birthday. In Italy, the book celebrates
Barks' "100+1th" birthday...
The book has a nice cover by Marco Rota. And text pieces by Luca and
Alberto.

BTW, Dan Shane: in this Italian reprint of your money bin blueprints, they
are black on blue (or dark blue on light blue).

The Haarlem convention was 2 days: Saturday and Sunday. I went there on
Saturday, but I came back on Sunday because I missed half of the stands...
(They were hidden in a back street.)

Some Dutch news (i.e. news from the Netherlands 8-) :

Pocket book #89 will be a reprint of Pocket book #1 (1st series). Finally
we'll get a full-colour version of these nice Italian stories (Carpi,
Bottaro).

Next month's Donald Duck Extra will contain Jack Bradbury's "The Flying
Horse". They will print more Bradbury stories in DD Extra. And Strobl. And
Super Goof. And... Scarpa (whee!)

Hans Kresse drew 38 Zorro stories in the 1960s. Next year these stories will
be reprinted in luxurious albums. I'm trying to get an index of the stories,
for Inducks.
BTW, Kresse also made two Spin & Marty stories.

In a few weeks, there will be an official opening of the Donald Duck
(weekly) exhibition in the "TV Toys" museum in Dieren. I'll try to make a
poster for that exhibition, advertising the DCML and Inducks.

That's it for now,
--Harry.