Recent Egmont Mickey story

Don Markstein lists at toonopedia.com
Mon Jun 3 19:20:02 CEST 2002

While I'm writing (just sent off a note about Bucky Bug) I ought
to mention a minor glitch in a recent story of mine, Mickey Mouse
in "Monkey Business", which Egmont published in its May 16 issue.
(If you don't know the English title, it's the one where Mickey
has to chase a monkey through the exhibit hall of a practical jokers'
convention.)

One of the gags in my script had to do with what I called a "Catapult
Land Mine", where Mickey steps on a flat object, triggering a spring
far, much larger than could possibly fit inside, which catapults
him far, far away. I described it as round and flat, not like a pizza
pan, exactly, but kind of oblong, like a turkey platter.

And the artist (Xavi) did indeed draw it looking like a turkey platter
-- WITH A TURKEY ON IT!

Amazingly enough, none of the professional editors and proofreaders
who saw it before me thought there was anything odd or unusual about
Mickey not noticing he was about to step on an entire roast turkey.
And by the time I saw it, it was too late to make any changes in
the art. It was covered in dialog by making it a "Catapult Turkey
Dinner" -- which is kind of funny, in a dadaesque sort of way, but
might still have puzzled one or two people.

Good thing I didn't say it looked like a toilet seat, eh?

Quack, Don

http://www.toonopedia.com/today.htm
Today in Toons: Every day's an anniversary