AW: Top 100 Comics

cwiljes@bol.de cwiljes at bol.de
Wed Jun 5 13:05:14 CEST 2002

Michael Schartau wrote:

>> Micky Maus by Scarpa as nr 61.
> Scarpa is regarded as the best mausartist since Gottfredson but he is only
on place 68 !?
> I resent that.

There are also other examples where I would object the ranking - and I am
one of those seven editors who voted for it. I myself voted Barks #1,
Gottfredson #14 and Scarpa #28. The ranking is an average created by the
individual rankings of all participating editors. There can probably never
be a canonical ranking about which everyone agrees. So in case of
Gottfredson and Scarpa it might be, that Scarpa's stories (if not his name)
are rather well-known in Germany due to the printings in "Walt Disney's
Lustige Taschenbücher" whereas Gottfredson has only been printed in
collector's editions which are not accessible to children. And to be quite
truthful a lot of the magic of Disney comics is best understood by young
readers and is difficult to grok in later years.

In addition to this critics' Top100 List there also is a readers list where
everyone can contribute titles and vote:
http://www.top100comics.de/comicvoting.php

Best wishes,
Cord