Franquins Marsupilami

cwiljes@bol.de cwiljes at bol.de
Fri Jun 7 10:32:36 CEST 2002

[Wiljes, Cord] > . This is funny and quite serious at the same time which
does not contradict but fits perfectly together. I think that is one of the
major characteristics of Franquins work (more obvious in his later works),
which might be called an equivalent of a crying clown - funny and sad
simultaneously. Take away one side - and you get a one-sided character.

Isn't it the same with Barks? Donald is funny, yes, but in Barks' best
stories he also is a tragic figure, the eternal loser, a duck in hopeless
defiance against fate. His uncle is wealthy, his nephews are clever, his
girl-friend takes advantage of him and each time he succeeds in any area
catastrophe will follow immediately afterwards. This is why Barks' Donald is
so much more than just a funny animal - and why we love him so: he is a real
person, nut just some character.

Cord

P.S.: I will post some Marsu sample pages to our Top 100 List (
http://www.top100comics.de <http://www.top100comics.de> ) this afternoon so
everybody will be able to see what all the fuss us about.