Gottfredson reprints

timo ronkainen timoro at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 16 16:21:16 CEST 2002

>From: "Cord Wiljes" :
>Gary Leach wrote:
> > There was always the hope of doing something of that sort, but, as with
>our abandoned Taliaferro
> > collection, too many obstacles lay in the path of doing it right.
>
>That is cruel, you know? Telling me of an abandoned Taliaferro edition. But
>I fear it would not have
>sold enough.
>A similar project here in Germany a few years ago was put on ice after
>three issues.

In Finland we have had almost complete run of Taliaferro dailies from 1938
to 1951 so far. Each year presented in one soft cover book.
Almost all: one week of war time strips were censored, from 2nd of Feb till
7th of Feb 1942 were cut off. I wonder what happened in these strips? Short
explanation on the book says that American publisher made the decision to
not to publish tehse strips any more. I guess this censoring was the reason
why American edition wasn't made at all.
Some of the first of these books have Norwegian (?) original title "Donald
Duck fra dag til dag".
These books are otherwise quite good, but strips are printed in pretty small
size.

Timo

^^''*''^^
Cartoonist - writer - donaldist -