Scrooge's Gold Coins

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Fri May 3 16:06:17 CEST 2002

For Kriton: Barks, himself, showed a diagram of the Money Bin, in which,
several levels contained different items.  To wit: cash money, diamonds, star
sapphires.  I imagine that there were separate rooms for money sacks and piles
of paper money, gold bullion (bars of ingots), coins of varying nations. Do you
think he mixed the coins from all nations up into one room? (That is also
possible). I think the famous Balonian nickel may have come from the general
purpose upper level (money diving room) with the large piles of coins and few
bills. Let us not forget WDC Nr. 138, which showed the top level of the Bin
(which was entered from his office and was the normal view of the "Money Bin"
which we were able to see) was only Scrooge's petty cash safe (room).
The "real" bin coin and currency area was below.

Not being held to any ONE of Barks' varied scenarios on this subject, nor
Rosa's, nor MINE, nor anyone else's, I assume(for the least defined
definition), that there were several different layers, or rooms in the Bin,
which contained different species of monetary items. I believe there were
probably some stray gold coins in the "petty cash room", before sorting
occurred (probably by that inneficiant slacker, Donald); and, that some stray
gold coins found their way (through Donald's incompetence) into the main coin
Bin section.  But, I believe that Scrooge got the allergic reaction to the gold
dust from swimming in his gold coin room.  However, if this is assumed, I then
have another problem.  Scrooge did say that the situation of the allergy was a
disaster because he couldn't swim in his "money" any more.  That implies that
his coins were all in ONE room. If the non-gold coins were separatedfrom the
gold, he could still swim in the former.  It must be that at least some of the
gold coins are mixed in with the others; and, possibly, much gold dust is
swimming around with them, having been scraped off the many stray gold coins
which have been in that room at various times.  all coin rooms should have some
gold dust.  I'll be interested to read what Don has to say.  I am shocked that
I am taking time away from my endless work to write in such detail about such a
minor point.

Rob Klein