Don: a simple explanation

Marco Barlotti marcobar at ds.unifi.it
Fri May 10 23:06:22 CEST 2002

>From: "Don Rosa" <donrosa at iglou.com>
>[...]
>I look at my art compared to all the *gorgeous* art that fills these comics.
>I still wonder why my stories are so popular... [...]
>It really makes me almost sweat blood to slowly draw in my *single*
>style while a Cavazanno or a Jippes can whip it out in 37 different styles
>in circles around me.

I'll tell you MY explanation, Don, but I bet many Italians (Europeans?)
think the same.
The winning move on your side is NOT the way you draw... but the fact that
you are a "complete" artist, i. e. you plot, write, draw and ink your
stories! People FEEL this is worth more than Cavazzano's or Jippes'
multi-faced art, because you give a thorough, well-considered, deeply
planned product. Ah, yes, the "Barks compatibility" issue is somehow part
of this, but I would not say this is the biggest part.
Your stories have a "complete author" feeling that (keeping to Italian
classic authors) only Scarpa, maybe Bottaro, gives. There are new,
promising, Italian authors in that direction, but since some of them are
lurking on this list I won't give their names least I compromise myself too
much... ehehehe...  ;-)

Just my 2 Eurocents!    ;-)

      Marco

http://www.cce.unifi.it/~marcobar/Comics