Why are you so popular ?

Jacob Berget berget at raptus.dk
Mon May 13 14:02:33 CEST 2002

> It's funny, that those three persons are always mentioned, considering
> that we have plenty of newer and IMO more skilled artists around. I
> think it was Ole, who once asked why Barks is called "Den Gode Tegner"
> (=the good drawer) in Denmark. He certainly--in his drawings--is
> surpassed by another CB, namely Carl Buettner. And in fact, I find e.g.
> Strobl's art in the 60s much more interesting and dynamic than Barks'
> art during that same period.
I think, that Barks' art is very different in each story - for example "Chirstmas on Bearmountain" is very different from "Statue spechifi... (i don't know, how to write that word! =))" - and "The lives and times of Scrooge McDuck" is drawn in a totally other style than "Gyro's first invention"! I think that Barks´stories was best in the beginning of the 50s - some will not agree in that, and THAT will just confirm, that the is a so big style-diffence is his (and many others) drawings - THAT thing will do, that the "målgruppe" will be larger, and i think thats why there is so many that likes him - because of that, and because of his GREAT, and i mean GREAT, stories! =)

> As for Don, he certainly is a splendid story teller spiced up with so
> much humour, a bit too strict and conscise in certain places, but
> that's his style apparently. However, the art itself...hmmm...can't say
> I dislike it, but clearly it doesn't come fluently and as natural as
> with
I like Rosa's drawings in "The lives and times of Scrooge McDuck" but not in the new story, "Gyro's first invention" - the drawings in "Gyro's first invention" looks so poor to me!

> What I notice, while reading less good stories, is that most artists
> seem to have left the original cartoon background completely. A duck is
> now a character with both feet safely placed on the ground, perhaps one
> arm is lifted a little bit to show a gesture or whatever, the eyes may
> show a bit of anger etc..., but hey, where is the dynamic?! Who can
> draw a duck that runs (and I really mean RUN) nowadays? Who can draw a
> Donald sighing over his greedy uncle, without making him look like
> Garfield not having his morning coffee served properly? Nah.
Agreed!!!!

/Jacob Berget
http://www.donaldisten.dk