Re(2): Re # 928 - Rosa in Holland

Anders Christian Siveb¾k anders_sivebaek at nns.dk
Wed May 15 14:49:35 CEST 2002

ME
>>So Dan, you wont have to call the ombudsman
>>(which is a loan word from swedish or danish btw)

Sigvald:

>No, no, no!!! It definately comes from the NORWEGIAN
>word "ombudsmann".
>It was probably loaned into English
>from the Norwegian vikings in Ireland, Scotland, the
>Hebrides, Shetland or Man. This is stuff I learned
>during my early university studies in the late 1980's.
I said swedish because I didn't want to insult by only writing danish -
it shows I shouldn't have written norwegian then - we have exactly
the same word in danish though, but our two languages are quite close.
The vikings you say? i believe you :-)

>It means a representative btw., like "Barneombudet" =
>"The children's representative".
Exactly

Hilsen/Yours
Anders Christian Sivebæk