Rosa in Holland

Frank Stajano fms27 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 14 18:34:25 CEST 2002

At 2002-05-14 16:34, Dan Shane wrote:
>HARRY CONTINUES:
>
> > Page 13 has the text "Footnote: this intersection drawing is not
> > completely
> > worked out, for the overview (but mainly because the artist was
> > too LAZY for
> > it)". Does this reflect the original text? (To me it looks like an apology
> > that the panel does not match with the blueprints...)
>
>AND I DO GO ON:
>
>That was obviously an addition by an editor or translator, but Don may have
>more accurate information.  In any case, I don't know who the person is
>trying to insult -- Don, myself, or the fictitious architect, but none of us
>are happy about it!  I'm calling the ombudsman!  I want a retraction!

I think you're both jumping to the wrong conclusions too quickly. To me it
sounds just like a joke by the author. It's the kind of thing that an
author can modestly say of himself in a joking way, but that nobody else
could without strongly upsetting him (and for good reason). Imagine someone
gratuitously adding a "this guy is lazy" footnote: what kind of editor
would that be?!?

   Frank (filologo disneyano) http://www-lce.eng.cam.ac.uk/~fms27/