Another OT about Holland

Vidar Svendsen vidar-svendsen at c2i.net
Thu May 16 08:39:07 CEST 2002

Sigveld wrote:
>Well your country also has two names (at least in
>Norwegian) "Grekenland" (the same as Greece)and
>"Hellas".
>
>Can you tell us more about the difference between
>these terms?

If I remember correctly from my lessons in Koine Greek
the Romas couldn't say that they were more advanced  than the
Greek culturally, so they called them 'graece' (referring to a small
greek people/tribe/whatever) to make themselves better.
Or something like that.
Vidar Svendsen                        http://home.c2i.net/vidarland/

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light
with the possible exception of bad news,
which obeys its own special laws."