Donna & Mac

Crocker, John John.Crocker at dvn.com
Mon Oct 14 16:10:22 CEST 2002

> But other parts of the huge Disney corporation
> disagree.  See this pin that went on sale in
> Disneyland in the spring of 2002.  Whoever OKed it
> apparently does feel that Donna Duck and Daisy Duck
> are the same person/duck:
> http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=9078

This is best explained by the sense that Disney (in films atleast) likes to think of their main characters as not only individuals whose lives can be told in stories, but that these characters are also actors/actresses themselves.
Thus, in Don Donald, Daisy performed the role of Donna.

For instance, in Mickey's Christmas Carol, new characters are not being introduced into the Disney world, but already existing well-known characters are acting out Dickens' characters.

Having only a small amount of Disney comics experience, it is my intuition to say that this is a distinct difference between Disney TV and films versus Disney comics (in which comics, for the most part, focus on telling stories about the lives of the characters instead of giving the characters different roles to perform).

-John Crocker.