Background duck characters

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Thu Sep 26 11:31:01 CEST 2002

Larry asked:

> But then I thought, why is
> it so rare to see a duck as a background character in duck stories?
> Why are ducks such a small minority in Duckburg?  Has a duck
> ever been mayor of Duckburg (since the founder, Cornelius Coot)?

In the Gyro story "Monsterville" (W OS 1184-02) there are several duck-bill
characters. Maybe even the mayor is a duck (I don't remember exactly).

It's remarkable that the stories with Gyro as the main character seem to be
in a different universe, where more duck-bills live, and where Scrooge's
money bin is on a street corner. Even in Barks' own stories, this
distinction is visible. I wonder why.

--Harry.