Of Barks and Frisians (OT, Klaus)

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Thu Sep 26 11:38:45 CEST 2002

Klaus Harms replied to me, 1 month ago:

> > I noticed (last month when I was in Germany) that Germans
> > call Ostfriesland
> > also simply "Friesland", making things quite complex
> > when talking with a Dutchman.
>
> To *add* to the confusion: I think you are in error here: There is a
> district officially named "Friesland" (Jever and Varel) that
> is outside
> of "Ostfriesland" (Emden, Leer, Wittmund and Aurich).

I didn't know that. But still, the conversation was like this:

- "Her name is Elke, that's a name originating from Friesland."
- "You mean it's a Dutch name?"
- "No, I mean Friesland in the North of Germany."

Since this conversation was held near Stuttgart (where detailed knowledge of
northern areas can't be expected), "Friesland" could mean any of the German
Frieslands, I guess...

> > Back to Disney comics...
>
> ... now!

Indeed!