About fanzines publishing and contents

Cristina cbriva at tin.it
Mon Sep 30 15:59:07 CEST 2002

Help
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Fabio Blanco
  To: DCML
  Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 2:08 AM
  Subject: what a fanzine can contain?

  >Well, I know some of you have experience on fanzines, so I would like know about what I can publish and what no in >a Disney comics fanzine. Of course will be a very limited run of issues...

  Hello,
  I have been working on a fanzine for around one year, and I can tell you the organization and contents strongly depend on what the fanzine is about. Each type of fan-printed magazine has its own particular characteristic; for example, a friends' organization's fanzine will probably show a calendar with the organization's festivities, meetings, anniversaries, and such: or, fanzines about movies could sometimes publish fan art, fan fiction or interviews by the subscribed fans. Also, keep in mind a fanzine's print-cost is not so low: especially, those multi-paged, colored fanzines, are very expensive, and obviously not-so-common. Our fanzine was, for example, advertised - and mainly paid - by our school: each class's volunteers wrote their article(s) (according to which fields were still empty in the fanzine's organization), then, at the end of the month, articles were gathered, scanned, eventually corrected, and typed on the fanzine along with the graphic layout. The first copy was colored: later, the publisheds, among which I have been working, passed it to the headmistress, who photocopied a black and white issue for each student of the school. At the first days of the new month, when even the scholastic newspaper was around, some volunteers passed from class to class and they sold the issues for a very low price: considering the initiative had been welcomed by a lot of students, the result was enough to pay the packets of paper and the price of press. A fanzine whom readers are settled in different countries, is a bit different thing: usually, the fee for subscribers is a few more expensive, as the director will have to pay not only the print, but even the copies and the postal' cost.
  Now, about the contents... there are some "basic" patterns a regular fanzine should follow, yet as I told above, it mainly depends on the fanzine itself. A comic fanzine could easily contain a list of rare or out-of-print issues; articles about the most memorable stories, or analyzing a story's detail: interviews and/or who-is-who page for autors: characters' informations: a list of misprints or mistakes in comics (the most immediate example I can think for a Disney comic is the famous "fourth nephew" of Donald): of course last news about Disney comics, as, for example, all known notices about a new upcoming story: the reader's opinion about it: and so on.
  As I'm writing from Italy, I'm not sure if all the above fields are legal to be published in a fanzine in other states, but I hope this can help