Scientists

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Mon Apr 7 12:01:23 CEST 2003

Shad Z. said:
RE: "Buck Calhoun"
> Is he a recent character (from the last 20 years or so)?
> Because he sounds line he may be based on real-life
> paleontologist Robert Bakker:

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Biographies/MainBiographies/B/Bakker/1.h
tml

Buck is a fairly recent addition to the Disney cast of recurring characters
(within the last 20 years). Interesting comparison you have there Shad.  I
read most of that page you linked and I can't help but wonder, too, if
Bakker was in the forefront of the minds of Pat McGreal and Cesar Ferioli
when they created "Buck Calhoun."  Buck is a bit "heavier" than Bakker, but
in some ways I'd say he could be a caricature of him.  I personally found
Buck to be a very charismatic character and would love to see more of him
in stories with Mickey and the gang.  His odd contrast of the cowboy
frontier and Jurassic Park is a pleasant feature in a Disney comic, and
Disney could really use this aspect as a catch for kids with fascination
for dinosaurs.

Thanks for that information!

-Rich Bellacera