Dutch albums and Don Rosa

H.W.Fluks@telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Tue Aug 5 19:10:20 CEST 2003

Michiel:

> The main reason *for me* in NOT buying the newest Dutch Rosa
> albums, is that the stories are presented in exactly the same way as
> in the DD Extra, not looking any better, and since I already have
> those stories, there's no extra reason to buy those albums.

Most stories have been double-checked for accuracy of the texts when reprinted in the albums.
The Life-of-Scrooge stories have more consistent names for the family members of Scrooge than they had in the first printing in DONALD DUCK EXTRA.

Also, the OOM DAGOBERT albums sometimes contain colour copies of Don's drawings for France and Gladstone.

Apart from that, there is indeed little new in the albums. The text articles are usually quite inaccurate.

> (Seems like I should try and buy original
> American copies of Rosa's stories, which seems to me to be very
> expensive.)

Having Rosa stories in all languages I can read (except Frisian 8-), I still prefer the English versions. Maybe because I first saw his stories in English (and my mind thinks that's how they "should be").

Getting Rosa stories in English should not become *very* expensive. Some years ago, Gladstone issued eight "graphic novels" with Rosa stories, and Disney Comics issued one album. These albums are probably still for sale at reasonable prices.
The only remaining problem is to get his more recent stories. I hope Gemstone will reprint them in "graphic novels" (or oversized "trade paperbacks") one day.

> Maybe DD *shouldn't* be very expensive, or
> maybe that's just Dutch policy, selling their albums at supermarkets
> and people buying it maybe for its appeal of *cheap and simple
> entertainment*. [Like Suske en Wiske.]

Yes, I think the main market for nearly all Dutch Disney publications is the mass market.
Or the "supermarket", so to say.

--Harry.