About G. Blum and reference points

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Thu Aug 7 18:21:23 CEST 2003

SIGVALD GROSFJELD to KRITON KYRIMIS, 07-08-2003:

> Downloading music from the internet definately countradicts Barks.

No, it definately *doesn't* contradict Barks.

Barks's stories always took place in the *present time*.
For example, in the Barks-written 1990s story "Horsing Around With
History", a fax is mentioned.

If you read Barks's stories in a chronological order, you'll see the
influence of new fashions and techniques. In the 1960s, Barks regularly
referred to the (at that time) modern beat music. He also made stories
in which he showed the (at that time) modern fashion of wearing wigs
and long hair. In his last 1960s stories, shortly before his retirement,
Barks even modernized the looks for Daisy and Gladstone. Daisy wears a
wig and looks fashionable. Gladstone looks like a hippie.

I think that, if Barks would still create stories, he definately would
have used the internet in one of his stories. The same for mobile phones.
They give a lot of story possibilities. Barks never stuck to a certain
period or location, when telling a story. Buildings and secondary
characters popped up wherever he needed them. Barks even was *ahead* of
his time, by using rockets that went to places that people still haven't
explored in real life.

Placing stories in the 1950s, is Don Rosa's style. Why would one want to
credit Carl Barks for it?

> Barks-style stories should IMO take place in the mid-1950's +/- a
> decade.

This is (indeed) a matter of opinion.

BTW. There's a story in which Barks comes close to the concept of a
worldwide internet. I'm curious if somebody knows which story I mean.

--- Daniël