DCML Digest, Vol 6, Issue 6

Geo geodiaz_79 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 18:51:44 CEST 2003

"This is *not* only about the character's character. Downloading music from the internet definately countradicts Barks. Barks-style stories should IMO take place in the mid 1950's +/- a decade. It's in that aspect this G. Blum IMO seems to fail in showing respect for Barks. When I say "seems to" it's because Egmont may have told him to do so."

OK, I never reply to the mailing list but I just wanted to point out a few things from Barks' stories since you have apparently never read one:

The Ducks travel through space, let me say that again TRAVEL THROUGH SPACE

They use Scuba gear so advanced that it still does not exist

In "Island in the Sky" Barks talks in detail about how advanced duckburg is, and I have to repeat this again, THEY GO INTO SPACE

They use a Stone Ray

Personal supersonic jet aircraft (Glomgolds in particular, which is more like a Chuck Yeager jet fighter)

Scrooge moves the entire Money Bin on a mobile platform that exists now, it's used for moving the space shuttle, but it exists now

The Giant Robot Robbers, Americas answer to Mecha

The computer controlled defense systems in the money bin...  I can go on forever here

My point is that Carl Barks wrote fantasy stories in a fantasy world that was set in the 50's only by style not by concept or invention. Many of the ideas that Barks wrote about were science fiction and several (like personal jetliners) are science fact but would not be available for years. Please show me how Barks EVER limited his imagination by only "living in the now".

As far as mysticisim, Barks wrote about reincarnation long before the Seth Materials or Shirley McLain's "Out on a Limb". Yes reincarnation is an age-old topic, but it was brought into "Pop" culture by those books and Barks brought it into his writings long before either one. There's voodoo and a many more esoteric topics that are used in his works.

If you want to talk about Barks, please take the time to read his work first.

Geo