Blumobservations

rodney-selfhelpbikeco@juno.com rodney-selfhelpbikeco at juno.com
Fri Aug 8 14:50:29 CEST 2003

Actually, when I read the Blum story, I wondered how many people would understand all of the computer jargon that the story hinged on.  I had good ideas of what all of it meant myself, but I suspected that at least some others wouldn't, and I'm right.

Technically, it was Blum's first story published in the US, but he's scripted stories for US publication literally since the first Gladstone run.  These were also plagued by inside jokes that nobody but him got, and generally heavy-handedness.  Now that Blum has been given full reign to create his own tales (without ready-made art) this trend seems to have multiplied tenfold.

And in regards to the whole Wicca bit...that didn't sit well with me either (and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person who's not pleased with this story).  I'm certainly not afraid of the religion or those who practice it, but, at least from what I can remember (I'm saying this for fear of being blasted with a million story list of instances where this happened) religion was always spoken of in very general terms in Disney comics....probably because they're geared toward a family audience (ie:  *hopefully* kids are reading these stories too!), by generating religious structures for the various ducks, you're isolating the appeal of them.  Personally, I'd be all the more comfortable if religion of any sort would stay out of my Disney comics.  If I had children who were curious about Wicca, I'd want them to come to me so we could discuss it together....not see any appeal of it because a duck practiced it in a story.  Kids grow up fast enough without various religious bel
 iefs being forced upon them in comic books.

I certainly hope that Blum will produce some really good stories in the future, because all I see from him with this story is a throw-away that will be outdated in 5 years, and will never need to see print again.  So, while I hope that he produces some great stuff in the future, he's going to have to change tracks for that to happen in my mind, and judging by the article in US320, that's not going to happen.

rodney.