No flame war, please!

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sat Aug 9 20:56:14 CEST 2003

Rick Ballecera (xephyr at cwnet.com) wrote:

> Sigvald:
>> Or it again proofs his (IMO) lack of respect
>> for other artists, Barks included.
>
> You're not implying that you/your vision of
> the "Ducks" is better because it "DOES" respect
> other artists, are you?

No I am not. I am not very happy with G. Blum's style, that's all.

>> Donald sort of said:
>> [sic] a bit about it" does not
>> qualify you to pass judgment on the sincere
>> beliefs of many decent people all over the
>> world.
>>
>> To which Sigvald replied:
>> OK, you asked for it! I'll be open and tell
>> you exactly what I > know about the Wiccas.
>> Fact is that once I saw a Norwegian TV
>> program where a Norwegian Wicca-lady openly
>> told about how at > least some wiccas
>> practice nudism and sexual orgies out in the
>> forrests somewhere, to me that sounds more
>> like a cult than a religion.
>
> First, ONE television program doesn't qualify
> you (nor would a hundred) if this is your
> reference point for such qualification.

What does qualify, then??? It was a serious program about a Wicca telling
openly about the Wiccas. IMO it looked like a very serious program with the
intention of presenting the Wiccas in a serious way.

> On the other hand, to use your standard, then
> Christianity also "sounds more like a cult
> than a religion" since I've seen TV programs
> where people don't just "say" some Christians
> practice nudism and sexual orgies, but actually
> take cameras to the places where such
> practices occur and "document" it.

People at my standards (to use your language here) knows perfectly well what
christianity is. Being a citizen of the western world and being a christian
is *not* equalent. The real "hard core" christians go to the church where
they are singing psalms, praying, and (symbolic) etaing the body of Christ
and drinking the blood of Christ. These people are *not* widely known for
any nudism or sexual orgies.

> They also have documented the practices
> of how some Christians prove their faith
> by handling poisonous snakes in a ritual
> where many often get bit and have serious
> life-long medical problems...

That must be a wird sect, AFAIK that practice is not supported by the Bible.

> well, I think you get my point. If we judge
> ALL Christians by the practices of some or,
> worse yet, the statements of a few, then surely
> Christianity should be listed as a "cult" too..

No, not as long as the judegment is based upon the "mainstream" christians
(those who belong to the large traditional christian societies: katholisism,
lutheranism, the Greek orthodox and a few other. I guess there could be some
small sects though that may could be defined as cults.

Any way, I like god debates on DCML, but please don't let this end up as a
flame war - DCML doesn't need nor deserve that!

Sigvald