Disney Comics and religion

danshane@bellsouth.net danshane at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 10 13:33:26 CEST 2003

D van E wrote:

> Are there references to religion in Barks's "A Christmas for
> Shacktown"? (OS 367) Christmas trees and the presents have
> no connection with any religion, as far as I know.

And I reply:

The customs you cite have strong connections to Celtic and Germanic religious festivals that were fused into Christendom's traditions.  But I take your meaning.  You're right, the Christmas practices of today have nothing to do with the birth of Christ.  But that does not erase the general perception of Christmas, Easter, and the like as "religious" holidays.

Daniel continues:

> Personally and moreover, I think that kids grow up fast enough
> without religious beliefs being forced upon them by their parents, and
> their environment. (Force and religion don't fit together, IMO.)

And I conclude:

I did not intend my mention of religion in Disney comics (and then only in response to a statement from Rich that has already graciously clarified -- Thanks Rich!) to grow into an off-topic debate about religion in general, so I'll try to stem the tide here.  But a lot of folks would take exception to your opinion (which you are welcome to) that parents are typically browbeating their children by instructing them in a religious belief.  Most of what people today consider good manners and morals come from scripture of some sort.  If you're complaining about the detrimental effect organized religion has had on individuals and on society then I won't complain, but your statement infers that religion is ALWAYS bad and that parents have no right to decide how to raise their kids.  It's the days of influential parenting that I remember from my childhood that I see depicted in the Duck stories, as opposed to the hands-off, "let the kids do whatever they want to do and maybe they'll
 turn out okay" permissiveness that is called 'parenting' today.

Let's get back to ducks and mice -- there are plenty of other newsgroups and mailing lists for religious debates.