Web polls (I accidently deleted the original thread title...)

Shad Z. shadz at email.com
Wed Aug 13 01:52:12 CEST 2003

> Me:
>
> Timo:
> > How you measure popularity? By readership? (...)
>

> I asked this question because I made a poll for the most popular Disney
> creator on my website a couple of months ago. Don Rosa won (45%), Barks
> was
> the second (18%), Vicar was the third (8%). So Don Rosa is the most
> popular Disney creator in Poland,

Sorry, but your conclusion is unwarrented.  Since you have a web site,
you really should be aware that Web Polls are totally non-scientific
and you can't really draw any conclusions from them.  The results of
your poll do not mean that Don Rosa is the most popular Disney creator
in Poland, they just mean that Don Rosa is the most popular Disney
creator among the set of people who:
1. have internet access
2. read Polish
3. have enought interest in Disney Comics to have found your web site
while the poll was being conducted.

You can't statistically say this group of people is representative
of the population of Poland.

And I'm not even bringing up the fact that it is fairly easy for
a determined hacker to defeat whatever security you may have had
and vote multiple times, further skewing the results.

--
Shad Z.                      ^Q^
            http://shadz.homestead.com/files/

--