DON - Dutchman's mine

Eta Beta eega at supereva.it
Thu Aug 14 07:30:03 CEST 2003

Hi Don!

>I wonder if "Lost Dutchman's
>Mine" is even the title of that story in Europe

No, the original title is actually "La mine de l'Allemand perdu",
meaning "The lost German's mine".

That goes to show, I believe, that Moebius (or rather Charlier)
must have known a good deal more about the legend than they put
in the story.

>I wouldn't expect a European
>reader to recognize the name "Lost Dutchman's Mine"

Why not ? I read the Blueberry story for the first time around
the mid-seventies, and I clearly remember having wondered why
the title was "German's mine" rather than "Dutchman's mine"...

Meaning, I knew the legend already back then, but not to the
finer details yet... can't remember where I'd heard the story
before, though.

Cheers!

Eta Beta