"Life of Pete" again!

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Thu Aug 14 18:23:35 CEST 2003

Michiel Prior wrote:

> What I'm trying to say: This is probably the
> way I'd like to see such a "Life of Pete"
> being written: tying together various 'facts'
> given in classic stories and cartoons and
> portraying Pete as a rounder character than
> the 'evil villain' he used to be.

If that by any chance means ignoring all the classic tales by Gottfredson
and Murry it would IMO make a "Life of Pete" pretty much nonsense.

> And maybe Tito Faraci could be the right man on
> such a job. I'd even suggest we need an Italian
> artist to draw it.

I am not sure if that would be smart. Marco Rota once tried to write about
Donald's life. Many people, even here at DCML, think that he failed because
he didn't knew enough about Barks' views about the relations in the
Duck-family - facts that were partly revealed in "Race to the South Seas".
Furthermore I think that, even though most often undeserved, Italian Disney
comics has, due to the high output, got an assembly-line mark on it.

I would therefore prefer that a well qualified American, like our friend
David Gerstein, to do such an important job - but that's just my thoughts.

Anyway the most important issue here IMO, is that whoever selected to do a
"Life of Pete" should care as much about the works of Gottfredson and/or
Murry as DR cared for the works of Barks when he did Lo$. Based on such a
secure platform that artist could include other ideas as well.

> Another Pete-problem: as there have been
> stories with Pete (and Mickey!) for 75 years
> now, needs there a timeline to be constructed?

Of course that's needed, have you ever seen a biography without a timeline
in it? Furthermore the strict timeline is the red thread that IMO make Lo$
so superb as it is.

> Do we want Pete to interact with real
> historical circumstances?

I would guess that anyone who loves Lo$ finds it obvious that the real
history should take place around Pete, though unlike $crooge I don't think
he's much involved in historical events.

Sigvald